The NYC Next Idea 2013-2014: Global New Venture Competition invites teams from around the world to submit their business ideas that can be launched and operated in New York City.
Finalist teams will win an all-expense paid trip to New York City in Spring 2014 to present their idea to a prestigious panel of judges, who will decide the prize winners. Prizes include a cash pool of $35,000, free workspace in NYC, pro bono legal advice and mentorship from the NYC venture capital and startup community.
The Competition is looking for ideas that address issues encountered in New York City as a result of the city’s infrastructure, industries, demographics, and space. This includes ideas addressing urban challenges found in NYC, as well as ideas aligned with major industries found in NYC such as fashion, financial services, media and advertising.
- Competition Organizer
- Local US Event
- New York, NY
- *Available in all states*
- Submission Date
- Business Plan Submission Date
- Awards Date
- Total Prize Cash (US Dollars)
- Competition Category
- Graduate - Local U.S.
- Graduate - All U.S.
- Undergraduate - Canada
- Undergraduate - Local U.S.
- Undergraduate - All U.S.
- Graduate - Canada
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Technology - Green
- Technology - Other
- Women or Minority-owned
- Specialized Industries
- Graduate - Global
- Undergraduate - Global
- Who's Eligible
All US and international students welcome.
- Teams must have 2-5 members.
- Teams must attest that all team members were actively involved in developing the business idea.
- All team members must be students or recent alumni (graduated no earlier than October 2012) of an institution of higher education (graduate or undergraduate), anywhere in the world.
- Teams may consist of members from different schools and/or countries.
- An individual cannot be a part of more than one team.
- No individual under the age of 18 is permitted to participate.
- Business plans must have a strong NYC operational component. Entries will be assessed for their viability in NYC.
- Teams must not have raised more than $100k in external funding, achieved more than $50k in annual revenue, or been in existence more than 1 year at the time of the entry into the Competition.
- Competition Prizes
- Office space at the Columbia Business Labs incubator for the winning team(s)
- All-expenses paid trip to New York City for all members of Finalist Teams not based in New York City, including airfare, boarding, and lodging
- Networking opportunities with investors, entrepreneurs, professors, and government officials for all Finalist Teams
- Other goods and in-kind donations from program sponsors
- Legal support services for winning teams