The New York Business Plan Competition is a venture creation and innovation competition that was established in 2009 to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship throughout New York State’s colleges and universities.
The College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering of the University at Albany, in partnership with UAlbany's School of Business, the Lally School of Management and Technology at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and Union Graduate College School of Management organized a regional business plan competition with a focus on energy technology. The inaugural event was held at CNSE's facilities on April 28, 2010; it was meant to encourage students to fully engage in their research and allow them to gain valuable experience through presenting their business plan to potential investors and industry executives.
The event was such a success that the scope was expanded to include five additional categories and all students from accredited colleges throughout New York. The cash prizes available each year to competing teams has grown from about $20,000 in 2010 to more than $150,000 currently, thanks in large part to the support of the competition’s title sponsor, SEFCU. In 2012, Syracuse University joined the organizing institutions as a main university sponsor of the competition. Additional universities have actively partnered with the competition, including Binghamton University, Canisius College, Clarkson University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Ithaca College, Long Island University, Marist College, New York Institute of Technology, New York University, Pace University, Rochester Institute of Technology, Stony Brook University, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, SUNY Plattsburgh, University at Buffalo, and University of Rochester.
The scope of the event has been expanded once again for the 2013 program to feature the 10 major regions of New York (Capital Region, Central New York, North Country, Mohawk Valley, Finger Lakes, Western New York, Southern Tier, Mid-Hudson, New York City, and Long Island). Regional partner institutions will host a semi-final competition in each region in early April 2013. The top teams from each of the 10 regional competitions will advance to the final round of the statewide competition where they will go head-to-head for the grand prize at the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering of the University at Albany on April 26, 2013.
Ventures must fall into one of the following categories:
• Biotechnology / Healthcare
• Energy / Sustainability
• Information Technology / Software
• Nanotechnology / Advanced Technology
• Products / Services
• Social Entrepreneurship / Non-Profit
Since 2010, over 140 student teams from 25 New York’s universities have presented at the competition. At the end of the 2012 competition, more than $310,000 in cash and in-kind prizes have been awarded to student entrepreneurs.
The winners are selected each year by esteemed judges including venture capitalists, angels, investment bankers, other sophisticated public and private investors, and seasoned entrepreneurs.
- Competition Organizer
College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, University at Albany, SUNY
- Local US Event
- Albany, NY
- Submission Date
- Business Plan Submission Date
- Awards Date
- Total Prize Cash (US Dollars)
- Competition Category
- Graduate - Local U.S.
- Undergraduate - Local U.S.
- Business - Local U.S.
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Technology - Green
- Technology - Other
- Women or Minority-owned
- Specialized Industries
- Who's Eligible
- Consist entirely of currently enrolled graduate and/or undergraduate students from accredited New York State colleges and universities
- A faculty or staff member is required to be listed as an advisor for the team; offering guidance, support, and technical expertise
- Students may not participate on more than 1 team each year of the competition
- Cumulative public and private capital raised may not exceed $100,000
- Student ownership of venture must be 100%
- Important Dates
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
- Regional Competitions throughout New York: Late March through early April 2013
- Final Competition and Awards Ceremony at CNSE in Albany, NY: April 26, 2013
- Other Info
For all information about the 2013 New York Business Plan Competition, visit:www.nybplan.com. Check back often for updates!